template

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Brooklyn Amy Despain

Brooklyn Amy Despain was born on January 4th , 2013 at 4:03 PM.  She weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and was 20 inches long. This past week has gone by so fast already!













I started having some mild contractions on Mark's birthday (the 2nd).  I knew that she was going to come soon on her own!  I was so excited because at my last Dr's appointment we started to talk about inducing if I went a week late.  I set my next appointment for the morning of January 4th, and I was so bummed.  The contractions became more and more frequent the next day.  They were coming all day long about 7 minutes apart.  I decided to call the Dr. on call around 8:00 pm on the 3rd.  He said to wait until my Dr. appointment the next day unless the contractions became more frequent and more painful.  They really started to pick up around 11:00 pm.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep through them.  I let Mark sleep until I started to hurt really bad, but I still didn't know if we should go to the hospital or not!  I really didn't want to go too early and be stuck in bed or get sent home.  We finally ended up going to the hospital at 3:00 am.  I was 3 cm and 90% effaced and the nurse said they would keep me especially since I was overdue.  I was so excited.  This was it!

After a couple hours nothing had changed, so they started broke my water and started me on pitocin around 6:00 am.  I tried to go as long as I could without the epidural, and I lasted until 10:00 am.  The anesthisiologist came in and gave me the epidural at 10:15.  My right side went numb right away, but my left side didn't.  The nurse told me to lie on my left side to try and get the medication to spread more on that side.  It didn't!  I still felt ok though, and the contractions weren't too bad so I decided that I'd be ok for ahwhile.  Bad idea.  The contractions became excruciating! The nurse tried to get the anesthiologist back, but he was in a c-section so I had to wait.  And wait.  And wait.  3 HOURS later at 1:00 pm he finally came back and replaced the epidural.  I was already 8 cm by then, so he had to do a combo spinal and epidural.  Finally I felt relief.  I started to feel really hazy and tired though and fought my hardest to stay awake because the whole time I was just watching the baby's heart beat. 

The nurse came in a couple hours later and checked me.  I was a 10!  She had me do a practice push.  When I did she said it was time to call the Dr!  My Dr. was out of the office that day because his son was leaving for his mission, so I was worried that another Dr. would have to deliver my baby.  However, my Dr. came from home to deliver her! Once he got there, I only had to push for about 20-30 minutes which was VERY lucky because she came face up.  Then nurse said most moms who have a posterior baby have to push for HOURS!  When she was coming out, the Dr. had the scissors in his hand to cut the cord, and he said he was curling her hair with them!  He is always such a funny guy.  Finally, she was here!  When the Dr. took her out, she grabbed on to the scissors!  Maybe she didn't like him curling her hair?!  She was so beautiful!  Her right eye had a pretty good bruise on it because she was face up, but I couldn't believe how small she looked.  After all of the pain, it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment